[THIN] Re: Installing Programs on the Server

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 15:45:41 -0000

Comments inline...

<snippety snip>

> The user that logs on has NO administrative rights and NO
> access to install programs on the Terminal Server.

Normally, installation of software actually *on* a machine, involves at
least writing some files, and probably writing to machine areas of the
registry - and in the case of ActiveX stuff, probably access to HKCR.

If you prevent access to these *discretionary* accessible resources, then
users cannot install software onto the *local* machine - how / where would
it be installed to. They may have write access to their home (presumably
networked) directory, and they will almost certainly have write access to
their local cache of their profile.

Personally, my users have only read-only access to the local HDs on the
terminal servers, and the same for the registry (apart from HKCU - which
without they'd have mucho problems).

> Except, they can goto Hotbar.com and the installation WILL
> run.  Even with these restrictions in place the Active X
> component will install the program.

To install anything *on* the server, software *must* be writing to areas
that *can* be controlled via DACLs. It really is that simple.

Business / application requiremens can cloud that somewhat - but if they are
so clouded that you cannot prevent them from actually installing software
*on* the local terminal server, you would have to question whether terminal
services is the appropriate solution - either that, or take alternate steps
to ensuring that your server installation is "clean".

> As stated earlier, my resolution to this (rather than
> completely disallowing internet access), was to leave the
> Hotbar directory intact and set Everyone to Deny.  This
> resolved the problem.

And where is this directory?

If they cannot create / write to it in the first place?

If it's something local to the server - either disk, or registry - you
should be able to secure it using DACLs.

> I am interested to know how this program was able to install
> with all these restrictions in effect.  I meant to take
> additional time to research this but got sidetracked.

Where *did* it install to? And what aspect of the *server*, shows you the
software is installed?

Neil

recipient(s) only and are confidential and may be privileged.
If they have come to you in error you must take no action based
on them, nor must you copy or disclose them or any part of
their contents to any person or organisation; please notify the
sender immediately and delete this e-mail and its attachments from
your computer system.

Please note that Internet communications are not necessarily secure
and may be changed, intercepted or corrupted. We advise that
you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us
and we will not accept any liability for any such changes,
interceptions or corruptions.

Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and its
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping
with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they
are actually virus free.

Copyright in this e-mail and attachments created by us belongs
to Littlewoods.

Littlewoods takes steps to prohibit the transmission of offensive,
obscene or discriminatory material.  If this message contains
inappropriate material please forward the e-mail intact to
postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and it will be investigated.
Statements and opinions contained in this e-mail may not
necessarily represent those of Littlewoods.

Please note that e-mail communication may be monitored.

Registered office:
Littlewoods Retail Limited,
Sir John Moores Building,
100 Old Hall Street,