[THIN] Re: IBM blades for Citrix vs. HP DL360?

  • From: "Landin, Mark" <Mark.Landin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:15:47 -0600

But it will accomodate the old blades. Here's what I got from my IBM
technical resource when I asked about them:

There will be a new chassis available in the 1Q06 that will feature
additional I/O module bays (6 instead of 4) and a more robust midplane
to handle 10Gb Ethernet, 10Gb FibreChannel, and 4/8x Infiniband. The
current midplane won't handle those speeds (though they will do GigE,
4Gb Fibre, and 1x Infiniband just fine). It will also have digital video
to the MM rather than analog (though the older blades will not take
advantage of this - they are analog only) to support multiple concurrent
remote sessions to multiple servers rather than the 'one connection -
one server' of analog. They will also have larger power supplies, and be
physically larger (9U rather than 7U). However, this does not mean that
the current chassis will be obsolete or go away, as the article hints.
The current chassis will be refreshed with the digital MM for those
newer servers, but unless you have a specific need for those high-speed
I/O technologies I mentioned, there is no need to upgrade to the 2nd Gen
chassis. They will support both your current blades as well as future.
All the blades will be compatible with forward and backwards versions of
the chassis.