[THIN] Re: How much Memory in servers

  • From: "Pardee, Michael P." <MPardee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 07:46:36 -0400

Although we have dealt with this on Win2k3, we ended up backing out of it
due to problems.  We had an app that was using a ton of memory and was
limiting the amount of users we could get on a server.  We took them to the
enterprise Edition and went to 8GB and enabled PAE.  We had issues with the
servers crashing upon logon that we *think* we could track back to Kixtart,
or at least the version we were running.  The servers were not yet in an AD
and were still part of an NT4 domain.  We needed to upgrade to a newer
version of Kixtart and we had issues when we did that.

We worked with Microsoft for a few weeks on this and they came back with the
recommendation that we were focusing too much on the PAE issue and we should
be focusing more on the app itself since it was internally written.  In our
case we were able to have a developers work with MS and optimize the memory
usage.

That would be an option.  Another would be additional hardware.  Another
would be the apps like Tscale that are supposed to help with memory
utilization.

Either way, we ended up backing out of the PAE switch after working with
Microsoft.  Apps have to understand how to use the additional memory so we
just use it now for things like Exchange and SQL.