[THIN] Re: How much Memory in servers

  • From: Dogers <dogers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 12:25:10 +0100

On 18/05/05, Dogers <dogers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 18/05/05, BRUTON, Malcolm, FM <Malcolm.BRUTON@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > We have an application that sporadically does "out of memory" errors
>
> > It is an in-house developed app and the guys that develop it say that we
> > should add more memory to our servers. (total 6 or 8GB)
>
> What the hell does this app do!!!
>
> > They have talked about adding the /PAE and /3GB switch to our boot.ini files
>
> Not sure about the PAE switch, but DONT do the /3GB - that can
> literally slice a large chunk of users off that you can fit on the
> machine. You might be lucky, but you'll have to do testing with that.
> It takes memory from the user space to give to the application space
> (3/1Gb instead of 2/2Gb) which cuts the registry allowance, amongst
> other things - the ol grey bearded ones will probably tell you exactly
> what it cuts corners with :)

Replying to myself, bah..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283037&Product=winsvr2003

You also need Advanced Server edition of 2000, it seems, for PAE.
Without that, you can't use more than 4Gb RAM

Andrew
This Weeks Sponsor: ThinPrint GmbH
and certificate management.
http://www.thinprint.com