[THIN] Re: How much Memory in servers

  • From: Dogers <dogers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 12:22:25 +0100

On 18/05/05, BRUTON, Malcolm, FM <Malcolm.BRUTON@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We have an application that sporadically does "out of memory" errors

> It is an in-house developed app and the guys that develop it say that we
> should add more memory to our servers. (total 6 or 8GB)

What the hell does this app do!!!

> They have talked about adding the /PAE and /3GB switch to our boot.ini files

Not sure about the PAE switch, but DONT do the /3GB - that can
literally slice a large chunk of users off that you can fit on the
machine. You might be lucky, but you'll have to do testing with that.
It takes memory from the user space to give to the application space
(3/1Gb instead of 2/2Gb) which cuts the registry allowance, amongst
other things - the ol grey bearded ones will probably tell you exactly
what it cuts corners with :)

> Something about having an MS tool for the exe that allows their app to
> address more than 2Gb like exchange

It works for things like Exchange and SQL, because theres only ever
one user logged on, so you'll never hit the limits with them, TS is
special ;)

Andrew
This Weeks Sponsor: ThinPrint GmbH
and certificate management.