[THIN] Re: How many users will go on my server

  • From: "Bernd Harzog" <Bernd.Harzog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:12:44 -0500

Since we are in the business of helping people get more concurrent users =
per server, my answer would be 30 per server with 2 GB of RAM, and 40 =
with 4GB of RAM. That is what we see every day when we ask the question =
of our customers, "Where are you right now". That leaves headroom for =
peak utilization periods, and headroom in the form of redundancy in case =
of server failures.

Note that if what I have said above is the average, the distribution =
outside of the average is wide. We know people who can get 8 concurrent =
users on a brand new dual with 4 GB of RAM on W2003. We also know people =
who can get over 100 concurrent users on the same hardware. It really =
depends upon exactly what applications are on the server, and how those =
applications are used.

Let me give you an interesting example of how, "How they are used" =
matters. We have a customer who rolled out an application whose primary =
purpose was interactive users doing customer service. Everything was =
fine at 40 users per server. Then they upgraded the application an put a =
new module in it that allowed managers to run reports that summed up =
what had gotten done in the most recent day/week/month/quarter. The user =
count grew by a very small number of managers, but as these managers =
fired off reports, the reporting engine (Crystal Reports) used up a fair =
amount of CPU, and made performance for the interactive users suffer. =
So, all of a sudden they were at 30 users per server because they had to =
leave headroom for the reports run by the managers. By the way, TScale =
got them back up to 40 by automatically managing the CPU used by the =
reporting engine so that it did not hurt the interactive users.

Cheers,

Bernd Harzog
CEO
RTO Software, Inc.