[THIN] How many users will go on my server

  • From: "Thomas, Jeremy" <Jeremy.Thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:31:45 +0100

Problem:
I have 2000 users. How many terminal servers do I need.

Servers are W2003, XPe, dual Xeon 2.8, 4Gb RAM
All users receive a published desktop. Standard applications are MS Offic=
e & Lotus Notes, other applications include SAP.

I need to simulate a typical user load - users using applications in a "t=
ypical" way, and automate this. Then, I need to test various applications=
 like Appsense or TScale to see what sort of improvement they make on per=
formance.

So:
What can I use to simulate userload of between 40 and 200 users making ty=
pical use of our application set?
What criteria should I use to determine that the server is running at "fu=
ll" capacity?
What other criteria might I use to fine tune these servers?
How did you do it?
What were your experiences?
What applications might I consider to get the servers running more effici=
ently?

Regards,

Jeremy Thomas

***
Disclaimer:=20
This electronic transmission and any files attached to it are strictly=20
confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you are not=20
the intended addressee, you must not disclose, copy or take any
action in reliance of this transmission. If you have received this=20
transmission in error, please notify the sender by return and delete
the transmission.  Although the sender endeavors to maintain a
computer virus free network, the sender does not warrant that this
transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages=20
resulting from any virus transmitted.=20
Thank You.
***

This weeks sponsor Vizioncore, Inc.
--> vc-iMonitor - Performance Monitoring, Control & Reporting
--> vc-iControl - Desktop & Start Menu Management & Reporting
--> vc-iMapper - Drive, Printer & COM Management & Reporting
http://vizioncore.com/products.html