[THIN] Re: Here's a biggie. Why is thin computing the future.

  • From: "Shannon Wyatt" <swyatt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 19:33:11 -0400

What I meant by that was that the idea of thin client computing was to
have a thin client on the end users pc and your running on a server
somewhere else. A web browser based app technically runs on a thin
client (the web browser) but those browsers are pretty darn fat! In the
end you need a combination of fat applications and thin applications.
But the diference is that a fat application is one that has little or no
interaction with a back end system. If you had 1000 users that need to
run Word and nothing else I wouldn't think that you would use a
metaframe server to deliver it. The cost of the servers alone would
outweigh the cost to have it run on a PC. But in the real world lots of
people need to run Word (not just Word, but apps like it), and access
system that require interaction to a back end system. But if I can get
my back office system to run in a browser in a low bandwidth environment
I wouldn't mind having those office applications on the front end.

A lot of the stated benifits to thin client computing you hear batted
around is just the hyperbole from the companies that will gain
finacially from thin client computing.

Having said that I've been working with Citrix products since 98 and I
am a beliver in using terminal servers were they are appropriate. If I
could bill 40 a week doing nothing but Citrix and Terminal Services then
I would be very happy.