[THIN] HELP PLEASE

  • From: "Stratton, Doug MSER:EX" <Doug.M.Stratton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:20:32 -0800

We have terminal server farm with 5 production servers in it.
They are running Citrix XP and 1.8.
We are starting to get resource problems more and more often.   These are
becoming quite common and it seems they occur on any of the 5 servers  (more
often then not nutmeg or chives 2 of the 5)

I have sent a note to MS asking if the  KB312362  artical applies to W2k
Server (not advanced server).  Not sure if this will help or not.

I checked the registry size on nutmeg when it was telling me that it needed
to be increased and found that it was 84 MB and maximum size was 140MB.  So
I assume it still had room and the message was erroneous?  Page file was
4092 MB recommended 3070 MB.

Most of the original messages were around the system pagepool being empty.

These are the types of events that we get:

APPLICATION EVENT LOG
Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID:       1000
Date:           11/20/2002
Time:           11:24:04 AM
User:           NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:       NUTMEG
Windows cannot unload your registry class file.  If you have a roaming
profile, your settings are not replicated. Contact your administrator.

DETAIL The operation completed successfully. , Build number ((2195)).

Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID:       1000
Date:           11/20/2002
Time:           11:24:10 AM
User:           NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:       NUTMEG
RegLoadKey failed. Return value Insufficient system resources exist to
complete the requested service.  for e:\Documents and
Settings\dstrat_a\ntuser.dat.

Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID:       1000
Date:           11/20/2002
Time:           11:24:13 AM
User:           NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:       NUTMEG
Windows cannot load your profile. Please increase the registry size and
restart the computer.

SYSTEM EVENT LOG

Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   Print
Event Category: None
Event ID:       33
Date:           11/20/2002
Time:           11:27:06 AM
User:           NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:       NUTMEG
The PrintQueue Container could not be found because the DNS Domain name
could not be retrieved.  Error: 547

Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   Srv
Event Category: None
Event ID:       2020
Date:           11/20/2002
Time:           11:18:56 AM
User:           N/A
Computer:       NUTMEG
The server was unable to allocate from the system paged pool because the
pool was empty.
Data:
0000: 00 00 04 00 01 00 54 00   ......T.
0008: 00 00 00 00 e4 07 00 c0   ....ä..À
0010: 00 00 00 00 9a 00 00 c0   ....?..À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0028: 02 00 00 00               ....

I could really use some process/advice on how to resolve this.

At this point I have ended up doing the following to get around the problem
when it occurs:

Disable logon to the server (via load balancing)
Restart the print spooler as the first sign is usually people can't print.
(sometimes helps)
Restart the NAV service (we just started trying this)
Logoff any disconnected sessions.  This usually helps

This helps usually but it is getting more severe all the time and less
effective.

Doug Stratton,
TDA, Workplace Support,
http://icw.ista.gov.bc.ca/I_wss/workplace.asp