[THIN] Re: HELP PLEASE

  • From: "Bernd Harzog" <Bernd.Harzog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:08:07 -0500

Sorry about the garbled text everyone. I am trying this one more time =
with a send type of plain text.

Doug,

You are running out of virtual memory. I know that this sounds =
counter-intuitive, but this can happen quite easily even if you have =
plenty of physical RAM available and plenty of page file space =
available. The reason that it can happen with plenty of those resources =
available is that there are system resources that you can run out of =
even of you have plenty of RAM and plenty of page file space.

The two most common reasons for this problem are that you are running =
applications that have a memory leak somewhere and your memory is being =
slowly eroded over time (this it why it is a good idea to reboot those =
servers every night - that is the only sure way to reclaim leaked =
memory), or that you are simply running enough copies of applications =
that consume a lot of VM to push your servers to the wall.

Now for a little commercial. We make a product, TScale that reduces the =
VM used by 32 bit applications running on Terminal Servers. You can =
download a free eval from our web site here:

http://www.rtosoft.com/evaluate_ts.html

After you download the software you will need an evaluation key to get =
it to actually optimize your applications. You can get the key by =
sending an email to sales@xxxxxxxxxxxx

If you have any other questions, you are welcome to email me on or off =
list. If you want to get technical, I will get Kevin Goodman our VP of =
Development involved.

Cheers,

Bernd Harzog
CEO
RTO Software
678-455-5506 x701
bernd@xxxxxxxxxxx
www.rtosoft.com

We currently have our Reg size set to 140MB and it does not look like =
=3D
it has
got to the maximum yet.  84 MB is the biggest I have seen it.

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On =
=3D
Behalf
Of Stratton, Doug MSER:EX
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 2:21 PM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] HELP PLEASE

We have terminal server farm with 5 production servers in it. =3D20
They are running Citrix XP and 1.8.
We are starting to get resource problems more and more often.   These =
=3D
are
becoming quite common and it seems they occur on any of the 5 servers  =
=3D
(more
often then not nutmeg or chives 2 of the 5) =3D20

I have sent a note to MS asking if the  KB312362  artical applies to =3D
W2k
Server (not advanced server).  Not sure if this will help or not.

I checked the registry size on nutmeg when it was telling me that it =3D
needed
to be increased and found that it was 84 MB and maximum size was 140MB. =
=3D
 So
I assume it still had room and the message was erroneous?  Page file =3D
was
4092 MB recommended 3070 MB.

Most of the original messages were around the system pagepool being =3D
empty.

These are the types of events that we get:

APPLICATION EVENT LOG
Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID:       1000
Date:           11/20/2002
Time:           11:24:04 AM
User:           NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:       NUTMEG
Windows cannot unload your registry class file.  If you have a roaming
profile, your settings are not replicated. Contact your administrator.  =
=3D

DETAIL The operation completed successfully. , Build number =
((2195)).=3D20

Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID:       1000
Date:           11/20/2002
Time:           11:24:10 AM
User:           NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:       NUTMEG
RegLoadKey failed. Return value Insufficient system resources exist to
complete the requested service.  for e:\Documents and
Settings\dstrat_a\ntuser.dat.=3D20

Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID:       1000
Date:           11/20/2002
Time:           11:24:13 AM
User:           NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:       NUTMEG
Windows cannot load your profile. Please increase the registry size and
restart the computer.=3D20

SYSTEM EVENT LOG

Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   Print
Event Category: None
Event ID:       33
Date:           11/20/2002
Time:           11:27:06 AM
User:           NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:       NUTMEG
The PrintQueue Container could not be found because the DNS Domain name
could not be retrieved.  Error: 547=3D20

Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   Srv
Event Category: None
Event ID:       2020
Date:           11/20/2002
Time:           11:18:56 AM
User:           N/A
Computer:       NUTMEG
The server was unable to allocate from the system paged pool because =3D
the
pool was empty.=3D20
Data:
0000: 00 00 04 00 01 00 54 00   ......T.
0008: 00 00 00 00 e4 07 00 c0   ....=3DC3=3DA4..=3DC3=3D80
0010: 00 00 00 00 9a 00 00 c0   ....=3DC5=3DA1..=3DC3=3D80
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0028: 02 00 00 00               ....   =3D20

I could really use some process/advice on how to resolve this. =3D20

At this point I have ended up doing the following to get around the =3D
problem
when it occurs:

Disable logon to the server (via load balancing)
Restart the print spooler as the first sign is usually people can't =3D
print.
(sometimes helps) Restart the NAV service (we just started trying this)
Logoff any disconnected sessions.  This usually helps

This helps usually but it is getting more severe all the time and less
effective.

Doug Stratton,=3D20
TDA, Workplace Support, http://icw.ista.gov.bc.ca/I_wss/workplace.asp
<http://icw.ista.gov.bc.ca/I_wss/workplace.asp>=3D20
Common IT Services,=3D20
Ministry of Management Services,=3D20
Province of British Columbia=3D20
Phone: 250 356-6678 Fax: 250 356-1960=3D20
MailTo:Doug.M.Stratton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<MailTo:Doug.M.Stratton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>=3D20
D Sharped

Bernd Harzog