[THIN] Fwd: 2003 Server hangs with corrupt user profiles after MS04-044

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thethin.net" <jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, neocug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 03:36:43 -0800 (PST)

FYI
Jim

Rick Mack <Rick Mack"

Hi Jim,

We're having a reverse DNS lookup issue at present which makes thinlists reject
any email from our exchange server. Could you possibly post the following since
it might save someone a bit of grief:

One of our engineers just had a horror rollout of Windows Server 2003.
Everything went fine until the day they went live.

Turns out quite a few users had corrupted profiles. When a user with a
corrupted profile logged on, the server hung. Multiply that by lots of servers
and lots of users with corrupted profiles and it gets a bit stressful. One
server hung 4 times in an hour.

Checked the event logs and identified users that were the last to log on on
several servers hat hung. Tried loading one of these users' ntuser.dat manually
(regedit) into the registry and the server hung.

Deleting over a thousand profiles wasn't really an option considering the
number of helpdesk calls that would have resulted from users who had lost their
printers etc.

Went back to a pre security hotfix build image. Corrupted profiles loaded
without problems. Added the security hotfixes 'til loading the corrupted
profile manually hung the server. MS04-044/KB885835!!

Rolled back to pre-MS04-044 and the hangs stopped. Microsoft support pointed us
at KB890352 as a fix.

This sort of thing really makes you really appreciate the sites where you can
run flex profiles.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Volante Systems

This e-mail, including all attachments, may be confidential or privileged.
Confidentiality or privilege is not waived or lost because this e-mail has been
sent to you in error.  If you are not the intended recipient any use,
disclosure or copying of this e-mail is prohibited.  If you have received it in
error please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all
copies of this e-mail and any attachments.  All liability for direct and
indirect loss arising from this e-mail and any attachments is hereby disclaimed
to the extent permitted by law.