[THIN] Re: FYI - New worm

  • From: "Matt Kosht" <matt.kosht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:31:04 -0500

I would posit that a good firewall is only as good as the OS it runs on.
 Building a secure firewall on a Windows PC is akin to building a brick
house on a fault line.

I have been using ICF and now the Beta Windows Firewall on my Windows
PC's.  These work well enough, though inflexible for my taste.  I even
recommend it turned on inside the corporate firewall, many are
misconfigured or inadequately admin'd.

I am contemplating an OpenBSD PF (packet filter) home-brewed firewall at
the home office.  Only 1 remote exploit found in the default install in
7 years.  Not a bad track record.  http://www.openbsd.org

>>> jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 03/23/04 7:17 PM >>>
I stand by my choice and constant suggestions of Sygate Firewall.  It
has
been protecting me reliably for years. I hate black  ice, Norton and
zone
alarm.
Jim