[THIN] Re: FW: Printer Ports are going the way of the Dodo?

  • From: Jason Patten <pattenj@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:45:52 -0400

I use what I'm given.  Management has no plans to upgrade to WIn2k or
Metaframe XP until they have too. They have also balked at the price of 3rd
party printing solutions so far. However, if it looks as if we will be
forced to deal with Increasing numbers of USB printers (since we have little
if no control over Hardware at the customer side) then maybe I can make a
convincing argument for purchasing them.

Jason

From: Jason Patten [ mailto:pattenj@xxxxxxxx <mailto:pattenj@xxxxxxxx> ]
I was just on the phone with a guy who does Consulting/PC support for one of

our customers, and we were discussing a printing issue. (The client had a
USB printer) since we are still Running on NT4 they are unable to print, and

he informed me that starting next year PC's will no longer have the parallel

or serial ports ONLY  USB. Has anyone heard this?

I noticed the post about the WYSE terminals dropping legacy support. Does
this hold for PC's too?

Jason