[THIN] Re: FW: ICA Multiple screen support Issue

  • From: <matthew.dilts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 16:07:24 -0500

Dan,

You should take a look at http://support.citrix.com/article/ctx114497 --
it has some steps that are not in ctx115637 (specifically see steps
10-14), such as the need to deny the System account write permission to
the thin16 registry key because "Note: Without this step, IMA overrides
any change made to ThinWire's MaxLVBMem parameter in the registry with
the appropriate farm setting."

On a related note, I am encountering an issue in a published application
that started after we moved from Presentation Server 4.00 R03 to
Presentation Server 4.00 R05.  The issue is that within the software
there are certain windows that pop up and have scroll bars to access
additional content.  In some cases these scroll bars are not present, in
others the scroll bar is present but does not allow the user to see all
of the far right fields.   In the configuration I list below when I
spawn these windows on my primary (portrait) monitor, there is a scroll
bar but the last of the fields do not appear.  When I spawn the window
on my secondary (landscape) monitor the scroll bar is present and all
fields are accessible.  When both monitors are in landscape orientation
the scroll bar works as intended on both monitors.  When I uninstall
PSE400W2K3R05 from the server, and spawn the window on my primary
monitor the window carries over onto the secondary monitor (the window
appears to be 1150 pixels wide).

Installing PSE400W2K3R06 does not resolve the problem.

System:

Server:  Windows 2003, SP 2

Citrix Presentation Server 4.00 with the following hotfixes applied:

                PSE400R01W2K3061

                PSE400R01W2K3064

                PSE400R03W2K3024

                PSE400R03W2K3050

                PSE400R03W2K3051

                PSE400R03W2K3060

                PSE400R03W2K3076

                PSE400R03W2K3078

                PSE400R05W2K3001

                PSE400R05W2K3021

                PSE400R05W2K3023

                PSE400W2K3R01

                PSE400W2K3R02.0.1

                PSE400W2K3R03

                PSE400W2K3R05

Relevant Farm Settings:

                ICA Settings - Discard redundant graphics operations is
marked

-          Alternate caching method is marked

-          Maximum memory to use for each session's graphics: 8192KB

-          Degrade resolution first

-          Notify users of session degradation

Application:  published app , Full Screen 16-bit color.

Workstation:  Windows XP Pro, SP2

Monitors:

#1 (primary) Portrait orientation 1024 x 1280 x 16-bit color (actual
resolution is set to 32-bit however our applications force color depth
to 16-bit)

                #2 Landscape 1280 x 1024 x 16-bit color

Client:  XenApp 11.0.0.5357  (it also occurs on 10.0.0)

I have tried the following and observed no change in behavior:

changing the degradation bias to degrade color depth first

Toggling the Discard redundant graphics operations

Toggling Alternate caching method

Setting the maximum memory via registry hack outlined in ctx114497

We would like to avoid rolling back to R03 if at all possible and we
cannot move to PS4.5 or XenApp 5 for another 6 months or so and
unfortunately we need to find a resolution before that time.

My questions are:

1.       Does anyone know of any post-R05 hotfixes that may address this
issue?

2.       Any suggestions for modifying the way windows are being
handled?

I am already in contact with the developer of the application in
question to see if there is any method to address the problem
programmatically, however I would like to explore all avenues available.

Matthew Dilts

[THIN] Re: FW: ICA Multiple screen support Issue

Beware that the article mentions to be applicable for PS 4.5 and higher.
Nevertheless we used the settings as described to publish desktops with
5100*964*16 pixels from PS 4.0 to workstations with 4 screens. We
noticed however that the relevant setting tends to "reset itself" to
8192 on reboot, which required us to implement a startup script to keep
it active. All in all our experience with large published desktops on PS
4.0 was less than delectable and we're looking forward to deploy XenApp
5 for these applications.   Dan
From: angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] ICA Multiple screen support Issue
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 13:45:35 +1100

Hi

We have some users that have 3 monitors.  When running Published
Applications, we find that 2 of the monitors work but the third does
not.  You cannot drag a Published Application into the third monitor.
The first 2 monitors are fine but the third is ignored.  The monitor
config is as follows:

19" Monitor (1440 x 900 x 32)
19" Monitor (1440 x 900 x 32)
17" Monitor (1280 x 1024 x 32)

We have not changed the default ICA Display memory allocation.  Farm
setting "Maximum memory to use for each session's graphics" is set to
5625 kilobytes.

Im not sure if the ICA session is running out of memory.  Where can I
see the session memory usage?  Based on articles Ive seen, you can
determine the memory requirements by:

1440 x 900 x 4 = 5184000
1440 x 900 x 4 = 5184000
1280 x 1024 x 4 =  5242880

Based on this calculation these sessions would require 14Mb.  Am on the
right track with this?  Im currently running Citrix Presentation Server
4 on Windows 2003.  ICA Web Client version is 10.150.  Can anyone
suggest any other changes apart from upping the graphics memory to 14Mb
in trying to resolve this issue where I cannot drag to the third screen?

Thanks
Ang