From: Henry Sieff [mailto:hsieff@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 2:31 PM
To: 'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: [THIN] Re: Ethernet splitter

The other 4 pair do act as a shielding in a sense. When electricity
passes through the live lead in a pair, it has the chance (through em
induction) to induce a current in another live lead. This causes
near-end crosstalk (NEXT, if you want to look cool to your cabling
technician), and will result in lower speed.

So, you twist a dead lead around each live lead - the dead lead gets an
induced current, but in doing so protects the next live lead from
picking up an induced current because the sum of the charge of the dead
and live pair will be near 0 at all points on the pair.

The "unshielded" in UTP refers to the lack of shielding around each
pair, but the unused lead is definitely doing something. Whether you
notice it or not depends on alot of other factors.

My $.02.

Henry