[THIN] Entire Farm Crashed Yesterday

  • From: christian.dady@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:18:32 -0500

Looking for some clarification here.

Yesterday afternoon, our help desk was flooded with calls that no one could
log on to our XP farm through either NFuse or the full client.

Turns out that the SQL box that holds the XP db had a runaway transaction
log on Monday that filled up the hard drive.  No one on the DB team noticed
this until all hell broke loose.

Here's my questions:

   What is the operational timeout on the Citrix XP boxes when they loose
   connection to the central db?  My understanding was that the local host
   cache would keep each box working for 48 hours, but it looks like our
   farm crashed after less than 24.
   Do XP boxes keep trying to connect to the db even after the timeout?
   None of our boxes would accept new connections or connect to the db
   until the IMA service was recycled.

FYI...all boxes are Win2k SP2 with MFXP FR2.

Thanks for the information.

Christian Dady
Sr. Systems Analyst, ING Americas
p. 612.342.7921