[THIN] Re: "Dumb down" desktops

  • From: "Andrew Rogers" <Andrew.Rogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:21:36 +0100

Originally we used DOS to boot straight into our published desktop, but i
eventually got round to wiping that out and putting 95 on there (our desktops
are old!) with SheLaunch going straight into the desktop.. But then about a
month in, users started complaining that their alt-tab keys didnt work - Win95
picked it up instead of citrix :( They didnt like the idea of using whatever
the citrix client remaps it to, so i'm sorting out ThinStation now - a nice
small linux system that can boot into various things (thinstation.sf.net)

When we get round to MPS and I sort out CSG/WI, I'll probably leave the
desktops as is, and put PNAgent on the Citrix servers to show the icons..
Maybe.. :)

>>> grecsek@xxxxxxxxxxx 30/07/04 00:23:59 >>>
Was curious as to what different strategies people have used to "dumb down"
existing desktops?

Does it make sense to wipe out the existing OS and install a 3rd party app
such as Alcatraz (if so what are some suggestions on vendor) to really dumb
them down or should we keep the myriad of old Win98-Win2k machines and just
use PNagent or Program Neighborhood in the startup folder?