[THIN] Download Pick of the Week: Windows CE .Net Emulator now Available!

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thethin.net" <jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 23:13:14 -0500

Oh my gosh.... Oh my gosh!! That is all I can say.  CE .Net is AWESOME.
Despite the apparent lack of native Java/Shockwave support this has got to
be one of the coolest things Microsoft has come out with in a long time. If
you plan on having ANYTHING to do with Thin Clients in the next few years
you MUST check this out.

So you can get a taste of Windows CE .Net Microsoft has recently released a
CE.Net Emulator. I am making this my download pick of the week. You can
create your own emulation (which I suggest ALL thin client manufacturers
take heed and do asap to showcase their product...having it all set up by
Iforum might be nice) by downloading the Windows Device Emulator Kit Creator
from:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sample.asp?url=/msdn-files/027/001/892/m
sdncompositedoc.xml
(Citrix could even do a version to show how well their client works on it)

The actual Emulation Kit can be found at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/sample.asp?ur
l=/msdn-files/027/001/892/msdncompositedoc.xml
You need to have this to do anything.
(A Mighty long link that will wrap so be sure you copy it all)

Once you get the kit installed you'll want to download the Sample
Projects... A CE Pocket device and an emulation of a Tablet PC...here is
where it gets AWESOME!  I am stoked!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/sample.asp?ur
l=/msdn-files/027/001/889/msdncompositedoc.xml

(Another Mighty long link that will wrap so be sure you copy it all)

Developers can even download (and I suggest you do this fast while they are
giving it away for free)Visual C++ for CE .Net
to create (and yes modify existing applications if you want) for CE .Net at:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=37662&area=search&o
rdinal=3

Now MS find a way to give the thing full Java and Shockwave support at the
get go (not as an after thought add on) and I AM SOLD BABY!

Enjoy,
Jim Kenzig
http://thethin.net

This weeks Sponsor NetX Inc Thin Client