[THIN] Re: Disk Queue Length Question

  • From: "Webster" <Webster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:05:59 -0500

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Saravanan Srinivasan
Subject: [THIN] Re: Disk Queue Length Question

Did you test with local profile user settings?

No, the customer rebuilt the VM and now all the before mentioned counters are
staying below 1.  “Something” must have been FUBARed in the original VM.  No
users are reporting errors or frozen sessions.  If all goes well this week they
will probably get corp mgmt  approval to proceed with the rollout and move to
XenServer.

Thanks

Webster

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Webster
Subject: [THIN] Disk Queue Length Question

Greetings,

Have a customer having an issue with frozen sessions on a TS2003/XA5 x86server.
 The issue happens with both RDP and ICA.  And happens remotely or logged in to
the console.

Issue: When using Adobe Acrobat 9.1 Pro to create PDFs from various form of
documents, the sessions freeze for very long periods of time.  i.e. > 20 minutes

Info: TS/XA server is a VM under Hyper-V.  My Docs and Roaming Profiles are
redirected to File Servers that are also VMs under Hyper-V.

My Docs and Roaming Profiles are stored on an EMC SAN connected via 4GB FC.
Both are configured for RAID5 as that is the only option available to them
until they do a major upgrade on the SAN sometime this summer.

Problem: Avg Disk Queue Length is > 1,300

Avg Disk Read > 4,500

Avg Disk Write > 22,000

Question: Of course I know that taking, on avg, 22 SECONDS to write a block of
data is going to cause MAJOR issues and is more than likely the cause for the
session hangs/freezes.  But, on a FC SAN, are Avg Disk Queue Length and or
Current Disk Queue Length valid counters to monitor for a Terminal
Server/XenApp Server?

I am finding conflicting advice on whether the Disk Queue Length counters are
valid for either SANs or Roaming Profiles and redirected My Docs stored on a
SAN.