[THIN] Re: Diagnosing Crashes

  • From: "Mack, Rick" <RMack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 23:23:21 +1100

Hi Andrew,

Unless you've done the reghacks to disable loading of printer drivers,
entrpeneurial users can still give you problems. On the other hand, I had an
HP driver that worked fine for 5 months, until a new user started using a
stapler option.

Crashed the server every time. We finally caugth what was happening when the
user phoned up to say they kept getting disconnected from the server every
time they went to print. By that time they'd taken out over half the farm so
we were getting a bit twitchy.

Get a copy of windebug and do a dump analysis. It's dead simple and it'll
give you the driver that's causing the problem.

By the way kernel mode (version-2) drivers will still crash a win2k system.
Nice thing about windows 2003 is a policy that disables loading of kernel
mode drivers.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack