[THIN] Design question .. Two farms, or one distributed farm?

  • From: "Landin, Mark" <Mark.Landin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:48:29 -0500

I've currently got a three-server farm, Windows 2003 Std, MPS 3.0,
located in Tulsa. It's running MS Great Plains and MS Office and
services about 60-80 users. Datastore is on an MS SQL 2000 server.

I anticipate needing to put about 8-12 servers in Salt Lake City to host
some parts of Office, and a homegrown scientific app, servicing 40-60
users. (With 10 servers, you can surmise that this homegrown app is
somewhat intensive...)

I am leaning towards making a separate farm for these servers. What are
the pros and cons of setting this up as another farm vs. making it part
of the existing farm? Are there times when it makes a whole ton of sense
to do one over the other? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!