From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Webster
Sent: 08 December 2009 17:02
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: DR project dumped on me

His response:

"There will be Hardware replication over 100mb pipe.  There will also be
application based replication via storage mirroring."

Webster

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Webster

The implementation engineer still has not replied with what is being used for
replication and the replication interval.

Webster

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Jeff Bolton

Not usually, but it depends on how the replication was set up.  Essentially the
SAN takes a PIT snapshot of the protected LUN and then replicates the delta's
to the remote site.  The replication cycle is usually based on the defined RPO,
so it could be anywhere between real-time to days.

________________________________
From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Joe Shonk
If replication is done at the block level, is the VM quiesced before
replication begins?  How often does replication occur?

Joe

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Jeff Bolton

If they are using Site Recovery Manager for VMware, the replication to the DR
site will be very easy.  SRM basically assists in creating a complete DR plan
for virtual environments.  It works in conjunction with the SAN.  Basically the
SAN is set up to replicate a particular LUN or set of LUNs, SRM then allows you
to re-IP the virtual machines on the fly (if necessary) at the destination
site.  The destination machines remain powered off, until a DR or test DR event
is triggered within SRM, it then severs the replication and powers up the DR
VMs.

Because replication is done at the block level for the protected LUN(s), there
is no need for any additional data replication between the two sites.

If they're not using SRM with VMware, it gets a little more complicated...

Hope this helps...

Cheers
        Jeff

  _____

From: Webster <webster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [THIN] DR project dumped on me

Two days before "go live" I have had a DR project dumped in my lap.  The
original consultant is "no longer available".  I was not involved in the
planning, project scope, design, recommendations or purchasing of anything
involved in this project.  Customer has a main site and is implementing a DR
site.  They are using ESX 3.5 on HP C class blades with a 30MB pipe between the
sites.

For what I am responsible for, the main site consists of VMs for:

SQL 2005 for data store
License server
2 CSG3.1/WI4.6 in NLB
2 32-bit PS4.5 servers (Office 2007 and Acrobat Pro)
1 64-bit test XA5/FP2 on 2003 server

They want me to help them finish testing the 64-bit XA server and if approved,
migrate all users to the 64-bit farm and rebuild the 32-bit servers as 64-bit
servers.  Then they want all of this duplicated in the DR site.

I am not familiar with ESX and what it uses to move VMs between host servers.
All hardware is identical between the two sites.

They will be using some VMware/EMC utility to replicate VMs and data between
the two sites.

My question, if ESX has a utility that replicates the VMs between the two sites
and the DR site VMs will NEVER be "on" when the main site is functional, what
else needs to be done.  If the VMs in the DR site will have the exact same IP
addresses, computer names and configurations as the VMs in the main site, all
that should need to be done in a DR scenario is to point the users to the new
public IP of the CSG at the DR site?  Correct?

Does the SQL data store need to have the Publisher/Subscriber replication
setup?  Wouldn't think so in this case.

What other info do you need to help me wrap my head around this since I am
supposed to start on this Thursday (and I will be at Ctx HQ all next week)?

Thanks

Webster