[THIN] Re: DR project dumped on me

  • From: Berny Stapleton <berny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 14:55:59 +0000

Personally, I would build the VMs separately and NOT replicate them,  that's
just me. Replicate your data, not the servers. Have both "live" so that you
can test DR without touching live.

In your instance, if you are doing all the replication in emc land,  that
means you don't have to worry about it. In my experience, I haven't seen
that go without a hitch...

Overall,  the solution seems generally sound, sounds to me though that you
need to flesh out some details such as how the data is replicated and sanity
check it.

Berny

On Dec 8, 2009 3:45 PM, "Webster" <webster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Two days before “go live” I have had a DR project dumped in my lap.  The
original consultant is “no longer available”.  I was not involved in the
planning, project scope, design, recommendations or purchasing of anything
involved in this project.  Customer has a main site and is implementing a DR
site.  They are using ESX 3.5 on HP C class blades with a 30MB pipe between
the sites.

For what I am responsible for, the main site consists of VMs for:

SQL 2005 for data store

License server

2 CSG3.1/WI4.6 in NLB

2 32-bit PS4.5 servers (Office 2007 and Acrobat Pro)

1 64-bit test XA5/FP2 on 2003 server

They want me to help them finish testing the 64-bit XA server and if
approved, migrate all users to the 64-bit farm and rebuild the 32-bit
servers as 64-bit servers.  Then they want all of this duplicated in the DR
site.

I am not familiar with ESX and what it uses to move VMs between host
servers.  All hardware is identical between the two sites.

They will be using some VMware/EMC utility to replicate VMs and data between
the two sites.

My question, if ESX has a utility that replicates the VMs between the two
sites and the DR site VMs will NEVER be “on” when the main site is
functional, what else needs to be done.  If the VMs in the DR site will have
the exact same IP addresses, computer names and configurations as the VMs in
the main site, all that should need to be done in a DR scenario is to point
the users to the new public IP of the CSG at the DR site?  Correct?

Does the SQL data store need to have the Publisher/Subscriber replication
setup?  Wouldn’t think so in this case.

What other info do you need to help me wrap my head around this since I am
supposed to start on this Thursday (and I will be at Ctx HQ all next week)?

Thanks

Webster