[THIN] Re: DLL rebasing

I have looked a little further into the topic of memory sharing with .net
applications and believe that .net apps will scale well in a multi-user
environment, in fact.. probably better than traditional dlls.

This I believe, is because the CLR is 'rebasing' as it goes.  Let me explain
what I mean by this.  Lets say process A has a DLL called 'File' instantiated.
The .NET CLR will have loaded the 'File' DLL code for that object class at user
memory address space 5000 for example.  Now, process B wants to use an object
from the same 'File' DLL.... so, since the MSIL code is being compile to
machine code on the fly, the compiler can simply map any address space in
process B to the 'File' code in the memory space of process A.  So basically,
the .net CLR knows up front what the memory space looks like as it creates the
code, traditional DLL's don't..

I am continuing to look at this and probably setup some testing and bore you
further with the details.

cheers, Brianos.com/handsome=on

disclaimer:

http://www.csfb.com/legal_terms/disclaimer_external_email.shtml