[THIN] Re: Cut and paste

  • From: Elio.DESANTIS@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:10:14 +0200

Explanation of the message you are getting: when you cut and paste windows
stores in the clipboard the path of the file file you want to move. So when
you paste somewhere, windows looks int the clipboard and follow the link
stored in it. In your case, the session does not have a valid path for the
file so it gives you this error message. Note that if the path was a valid
one in your session you would have probably copied the wrong file (example:
c:\boot.ini is a path valid on every winNT machine).

What is the version of RDP client ? 5.0 or 5.1 (TSAC, the new one) ?

if 5.0 use RDPCLIP.
if 5.1 you can only use a third party software like

FTPRDP : http://24.42.144.161/tsnet/ftprdp.htm
WTSFTP : http://www.ibexsoftware.com/wtsftp.asp
(info from Jime Kenzig)

But remember that:
- 5.0 is not able to remap network printers (Q264039)
- 5.1 doesn't support RDPCLIP (Q278139)
- Also check this article :
      Q309825 : HOW TO: Securely Copy and Paste Files Between the Terminal
Services Client and the Terminal Server in Windows 2000

Elio

                      "Craig Cameron"

                      <craig.cameron@ca         To:      <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      re-ivf.com>               cc:

                      Sent by:                  Subject: [THIN] Re: Cut and
paste
                      thin-bounce@freel

                      ists.org

                      24/10/2002 18:51

                      Please respond to

                      thin

The software described is called rdpclip.exe it is part of the 2k =
resource kit.

Search rdpclip.exe on M$ site.

Here is where the nightmare begins........are you sure you want to do =
this?

Do you have only SP2? or the latest rdp client?(the one with the pretty =
colours and the picture of a sat dish!)

If so forget it.

However, if not it is wholly possible (I've done it only for the =
following!) :
             1. Only works for NT4 Wkstn/NT4 Server/Win2k clients, I never
tried on =
98. (Despite what it says on M$ website 95 OSR1 does not work)
             2. Only works on RDP clients created prior to SP2 (i.e. from a
server =
which is and has never been SP2 or better!) I had to install a new Win2k =
Server + TS then create disks!
             3. Does work "sometimes" over VPN (despite M$ saying it
doesn't!)
             4. You MUST have Virtual Channel running.
             5. Luck. Perseverance and patience. (Diet coke, Pizza and Beer
also =
help)

Alternatively,

             1. You can buy Citrix MF ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)
             2. Go to www.ncd.com and buy their thinpath software (quite
cheap for a =
small number of users)
             3. If you are in the same domain or can access the domain. You
can back =
map a network drive. (advisable to be given only to Admins, or sensible =
people)
             4. Search for other software. I imagine there is other
software =
available.

Mail me if this is too much for you. I spent many many many many hours =
on this about two years ago...... The scars still remain.

Craig 'Developer Edition' Cameron MCP, MCSE, MCDBA
IT Systems Manager
CARE @ The Park Hospital
Tel : 0115 9667720 Fax : 0115 9667710
E-Mail : craig.cameron@xxxxxxxxxxxx