[THIN] Re: Current Clientname

  • From: Ormond_Merino@xxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 23:39:02 -0400

Anybody want to try this? ThinFan got me thinking, so I used an ASP.NET
property (Request.UserHostName) that reads the HTTP values sent by a client
during a Web request. I haven't tested workspace control as we're not using
it yet, but I do get the hostname of the client machine set as the client
name.

Note: this will return the IP address (only the first octet because of the
split I'm doing) of the client machine unless you enable reverse dns lookups
in IIS using the command below.

cscript C:\inetpub\adminscripts\adsutil.vbs set
/w3svc/1/ROOT/EnableReverseDNS "TRUE"

In session.cs replace this;

// Get the client name to use (create a new one, if necessary)

    String clientName = (String)deviceState.get(COOKIE_LOGIN_CLIENT_NAME);

    if (!MPSClientNames.isValidUniqueName(clientName)) {

        if( config.getWorkspaceControlConfiguration().getEnabled() ) {

            clientName = MPSClientNames.generateUnique();

            deviceState.put(COOKIE_LOGIN_CLIENT_NAME, clientName); //
Remember for future sessions

        } else {

            // Use the old client name format when Workspace Control is
disabled for

            // compatibility (MPS/U and MF1.8 need the old format to do
roaming

            // reconnection).

            clientName = MPSClientNames.fromAccessToken( accessToken );

        }

    }

With this;

// Get the client name to use (create a new one, if necessary)

                        String client = Request.UserHostName;

// split the string, removing the dns suffix. For some reason WI does not
like the fqdn of my machine - maybe it's too long

                  string[] client1 = client.Split('.');

                string clientName = client1[0];

            //write the hostname to the cookie

        deviceState.put(COOKIE_LOGIN_CLIENT_NAME, clientName);

Regards,

Ormond Merino