[THIN] Re: Cognos

  • From: "Berny Stapleton" <berny.stapleton@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 17:13:02 -0000

In my last job, we ended up ditching Cognos and re-doing all of our
reports in SQL Reporting services, not only is it free with MS SQL
Server, it's also web based and had a whole slew of things going for it
when compared with upgrading Cognos and trying to get everything right
again.

The web interface was pretty dependent on Internet Explorer which was a
pain, but that was the least of our concerns at the end of the day.

I have to agree with your earlier comment Rick, the biggest problems
that I have had under Citrix when getting applications working is wierd
and strange places that people were putting .ini files and the
requirements they had for logs etc. (Putting logs in the Program files
directory, via hard coding too!) and the user having to have write
access to the directory and all subfolders for the app to work.

At the end of the day, it's really nice for things to be pretty, but as
long as the numbers are right, for internal business use, it doesn't
matter what you have.

Berny

  _____