[THIN] Re: Clients

Look back a few weeks at the conversation about the Wyse 1200 and
1125.  We use the 1200 and they are perfect for our environment; if
you need serial ports you have to bump up to the 1125.

With the 1200 you get ftp managed settings so you can take a unit out
of the box, plug it in to the network and walk away without having to
touch anything.  Plus Wyse makes a $10 bracket that you can use to
mount it to the back of any monitor that supports VESA mounting.  We
have 15" LCDs with the 1200s mounted to the back and it looks very
slick (we did go out an buy silver and black keyboards and mice rather
than use the ivory ones that come with the units).

This past spring I bought one of just about every client I could find
thinking we could "update" our 1200s but nothing booted as fast (about
5 seconds from power on to login if you turn off firmware update
checks) or even performed as well in our environment, including Wyse's
"next-generation" units (which took up to 2 minutes to boot).

Of course, it all depends on what you are going to do with them - make
sure you do a thourough test before buying a bunch of anything.
Because you are looking at a less powerful local processor,
multi-media stuff won't get the speedscreen boost that other
thin-clients can offer, plus you may need serial ports, etc.

If you are going to use it in a PS 4 environment make sure you contact
Wyse to get the 4.4.069 firmware, the latest public firmware has some
issues with PS4.

On 8/11/05, Bill Beckett <bill.beckett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Currently we use a combination of desktop PC's and forklift PC's for
> our warehouse needs. Looking into Wyse thin clients and wanted to get
> some feedback from the list on pros, cons, what models you were using,
> are you happy with them, etc....
New Site from The Kenzig Group VistaPop.com!
Windows Vista Links, Subscribe to Vista Discussion List
at Freelists.org and more! See:
http://www.VistaPop.com