[THIN] Re: Citrx XPe and Backup Exec 9 IDR option

  • From: Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 07:15:05 -0700

You got farther than I did.  With version 8, we actually had tech support
tell us that IDR didn't work.  Got our money back for it.  We since
upgraded to Netbackup and am getting ready to try it's version of IDR.

adam

                      <Dave.Boatman@exch

                      ange.co.uk>               To:       <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      Sent by:                  cc:

                      thin-bounce@freeli        Subject:  [THIN] Citrx XPe and
Backup Exec 9 IDR option
                      sts.org

                      08/01/2003 03:23

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      thin

Is anyone out there using Backup Exec 9 (build 4454) with the intelligent
disaster recovery option on a Citrix server XPe (FR3 CD installation but
farm set at FR2 level) (drives remapped by citrix ? C=M,D=N,E=O, using W2K
SP4) ?

And more to the point.. has anybody successfully restored this via the IDR
CD (automated restore ? minimum interaction) and a good backup on a remote
media server ?
It's not going well for me !!

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/259441.htm says it works but I can't
seem to get it to work?

It seems to get confused after the restore (which worked correctly). It
reboots and then asks for the SP4 CD. It seems to go through trying to copy
various files from the CD e.g. NT5INF.CAT (and not the CA_  version which
is on the CD ? so I had to point it off to the local copy of this file). It
eventually finishes copy files and wants both the original W2K server CD
and the SP4 CD. If you feed it through this process it eventually gets to
the point that it says its going to reboot.
It reboots but you can't load up the CMC, various icons on the quick start
menu ( internet explorer etc) are missing.

Error Message when starting the CMC says ? The management Console for
Metaframe XP could not be started because there was an error in creating
the process. Would you like more details ? (Y/N)

Then?

Error code 1813 (0x715) occurred while attempting to execute "with working
directory 'M:\PROGRA~1\Citrix\ADMINI~1'

I'd say that it looks like the short names are not being corrected after
restore.. I read a technote last night and this said that this had been
fixed but I'm not convinced. I've tried another restore and same thing..

If anyone has any ideas? I'd be really grateful.

Just one good piece of news ?. At least this is on my test network and
thankfully not the main live production farm !!....

Dave Boatman

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This communication and the information it contains is intended for the
person or organisation to whom it is addressed. Its contents are
confidential and may be protected in law. Unauthorised use, copying or
disclosure of any of it may be unlawful. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact us immediately.

The contents of any attachments in this e-mail may contain software
viruses, which could damage your own computer system. While Marlborough
Stirling has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we
cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of
software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checking procedure
before opening any attachment.

Marlborough Stirling plc, Registered No. 3008820,
Allen Jones House, Jessop Avenue, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50 3SH
Tel: 01242 547000 Fax: 01242 547100

The following companies are subsidiaries of Marlborough Stirling plc and
are registered in England and Wales at the above address:
The Marlborough Stirling Group PLC, Registered No. 1855353
Marlborough Stirling Administration Limited, Registered No. 2341195
Exchange FS Group plc, Registered No. 3760381
Exchange FS Limited, Registered No. 2596452
Crisp Computing Limited, Registered No. 1547979

http://www.messagelabs.com

This weeks sponsor - RTOSoft TScale
http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id=130