[THIN] Re: Citrix releases SSL VPN Appliance

  • From: "Steve Raffensberger" <sraffens1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:53:29 -0500

MessageActually, I see CSG as complementary to VPN's and would ideally like
to see both.

In my experience, a VPN is useful and performs well when a user has his/her
company owned computer outside the company walls and needs access to some
company resource (email, file, printer, etc.).

However, if the user does not have a company computer or needs to access a
company database, the VPN no longer works. Conversely, CSG can be made
available on airport kiosks, cyber cafe's, grandma's PC, Macintosh
computers, Linux computers, etc. It also performs database applications much
better than a VPN connection due to the proximity of the database client to
its server.

Lastly, I've seen VPN's become overwhelmed on snow days. A complementary CSG
can offload enough traffic keep things performing well.

Just my $.02

Raff