[THIN] Re: Citrix on VMWare

  • From: Durf <stygmata@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 23:17:55 -0400

Soooo...you're saying that pig of a Visual FoxPro based app that regularly
pegs the processor and that *mumble* client of mine runs isn't going to
benefit by virtualization? o_0

Actually, I jest, partially. I am in the middle of deploying some Citrix
servers on Microsoft Virtual Server '05, but the major reason is business
continuity, not performance. The client is willing to take a tradeoff on
hardware and performance vs. recoverability and management for the following
reasons:

- System updates for the app come out fairly often, and the system needs a
rapid rollback strategy
- Client is in the middle of an acquisition phase and needs to be able to
deploy more resources quickly
- Client loves having machines that can be clones, backed up, rolled back,
and versioned according to those needs
- Client is willing to oversubscribe on hardware in order to have
scalability, reliability and redundancy
- Client is planning on having a copy of their VM image taken to a remote
datacenter for disaster recovery purposes

The basic strategy and argument for having app servers on virtual machines
is to overspend on hardware capacity by 20-40% in order to have rapid
failover, fail-back and recovery. We've demonstrated being able to roll back
to a previous version of the Virtual Hard Disk file via Volume Shadow Copy
in a case where the system becomes compromised by spyware or a bad
application update, and that has become a compelling business case for
virtualization.

--
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute.