Van: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] Namens
Nelson Brandon - brnels
Verzonden: woensdag 4 december 2002 22:13
Aan: 'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Onderwerp: [THIN] Citrix Server lockups

I am in the process of migrating our existing MetaFrame 1.8 Servers
running on NT 4.0 to MetaFrame XPa running on Windows 2000.  To say the
least, this has not gone smoothly.  The issues we are having are as
follows:

1.      Random Server lockups or freezes requiring a power cycle to
correct.
All sessions freeze and sometimes the server even stops responding to
pings. No one can log on, even at the console.  There is never any
helpful information in the Event Logs, the system stops logging and when
it comes back up it reports that previous shutdown was unexpected.
Usually occurs about 1 or 2 times per week interrupting production.
2.      Applications running in Citrix sessions just disappear and the
user
has to restart the application within their session.  Once again nothing
shows up in the Event Logs to aid in this diagnosis.

We are publishing the desktop with users accessing SAS, Oracle SQL Plus,
Word, Excel, QVT terminal emulation, Extra mainframe client, and a home
grown, mission critical VB app used to schedule and monitor database
jobs. The user load varies greatly, but the average is probably around
25 users per XPa server.  The lockups have occurred with as few 10 users
on the box so user load does not appear to be the issue.  Lockups occur
on both of our Citrix XPa servers so the issue does not appear to be
hardware related.  As for hardware resources we have 2 - 8 processor
servers with 4 GB of RAM. One server has 8 - 700 MHz Xeons and the other
has 8 - 900MHz Xeons.  The servers have been tuned following the
guidelines in Rick Dehlinger's Citrix MetaFrame for Windows Servers-
Installation and Tuning Tips document.  The servers are running Windows
2000 Advanced Server SP3 and MetaFrame XPa FR2. We still have 1 NT 4.0
MetaFrame 1.8 server with 4 - 700 MHz Xeon processors and 2 GB of RAM
that has an average of 50 users on it running the same applications via
a published desktop and it is running without any of issues listed
above.

I found the CTX015294 document outlining compatibility issues between
MetaFrame XP FR2 and Win2K SP3.  I experienced all of these documented
issues during the installation process, as I was unaware of the hotfix
at the time.  My workaround for these issues was to manually install the
ICA client in the proper pass-through directory structure, and manually
copying the ICA client installation files into the proper directory to
enable client distribution.  For all intents and purposes this has
appeared to work and the pass-through client appears to be working and I
can distribute ICA clients too.  With all that background being stated,
are there any other ramifications that we may be experiencing from this
compatibility issue? Will applying the Citrix hotfix correct any of my
issues?  Is it possible that this SP3 and FR2 compatibility issue is
causing our lockup and application disappearance problems?

I initially found this information at www.tweakcitrix.com, Rick
Dehlinger's site.  He also referenced a Microsoft Knowledge Base article
304229 and pointed at the issues stated within this article as the root
of the SP3 an FR2 compatibility problem.  I am not sure if the VB app is
calling any 16 bit processes running in VDMs.  I know that the app is a
32 bit app written in VB 6.0 but that is about all the information I
have regarding it.  What can I look at to determine if the app is
spawning VDMs?  The resource utilization never appears to be very high
on any of these servers.

Thanks for your help.

Brandon Nelson

brandon.nelson@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:brandon.nelson@xxxxxxxxxx>

intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be
legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended
If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this
of it from your computer system. Thank You.