[THIN] Re: Citrix Load Evaluator / Total Sessions per Server & Application

  • From: "Andrew Wood" <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:15:18 -0000

Well, what I've  seen before is some muppet has configured ICA connections
to connect directly to the server rather than load balance - especially if
the server was one of the first in the farm. So because you've a different
number of load evaluators you can end up with more users on that servers
because x users *always* log on to that server - you might what to check the
name of the icaconnections  - do they all have the same name? No blanks?

You may want to read http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX111035 ... or you
may not as it may be you...

I think in the first instance the command queryds /table:LMS_ServerLoadTable
would be your chap - that'll give you a break down of which evaluators are
weighted where and how - that'll give you more information than simply doing
a qfarm /load. Queryds is on your Citrix CD, I don't think its installed by
default.

You've got 4 evaluators

Application User Load, - Thats a straight count of users for an application
- whats the application? Is it a 'core' application i.e. is your published
app the only app on the server? Can the users launch other apps and still
have a connection without this app running?

Load Throttling, - The default is 'high' - but I'd have said the impact of
this evaluator would only kick in during peak logon/logoffs - less likely to
impact over time... but .. meh ... open mind an' all that.. whats yours set
at?

Memory Usage, - This is a character building evaluator - unless you've got
apps that use a regular memory footprint it can cause all sorts of "funny"
skews on user count - especially if you've not got optimisation on, or
you've not throttling user memory consumption.  Flip side is - it stops you
running low on memory available on the server

Server User Load - straight user count

So - it may be application load and server user load have cause to be
different over time - say you base your app user load on Outlook, but the
user launches outlook, then launches word, then closes outlook. Still got a
user on, and your memory and app user load evals are going to be lower - so
next user that comes on will go to this server rather than another (where
users are running outlook) - over time that'd cause some differences

It could be that there is a different process running on that server -
CTXPRESS1P - or that the memory optimisation is only configured to run on
that server - or, its been running on that the longest so the overall memory
optimisation.

I'd be tempted to suggest to cut out the application user load in the first
instance  & load throttling if possible, and trouble shoot with queryds from
there - but regardless run queryds /table:LMS_ServerLoadTable should show
which rules contribute more

If you're still having problems look at the running the scripts suggested in
the KB article

a.