[THIN] Re: CSG with 1.8?

  • From: "Alexander Danilychev" <teknica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:17:53 -0800

One cert per CSG/NFuse combination is definetly possible, however you are
there for surprise, unless your users do not use firewalls.

Remapping CSG to any port different from 443 (including port 80) will run
into clients that do have your port of choyce open. So, if you put CSG on
port 8080 (as example), it will only work for people that have outbound port
8080 open.

The only combination that comes close to correct implementation of one cert
per NFuse/CSG is port 443 for NFuse and port 80 for CSG using SSL on both
ports (yes, port 80 will support your SSL traffic). However some firewalls
will examin the traffic accros port 80 and might not allow anything but
plain HTTP.

If desire to save money on certs is high, a better way to go is to use
private certs for CSG and deploy Java client with prepacaged public cert. In
this case keep port 443 (obviously different IP and disabled socket
pooling).

All this makes only academic sence - IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO KEEP CSG ON
THE