[THIN] Re: CAG AAC 4.2 fallback connection policies

  • From: "Pavlo Ignatusha" <Pavlo.Ignatusha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:01:24 -0400

Jeff,

Please see comments inline.

Thanks,

Pavlo Ignatusha
Systems Network Coordinator
Pembroke Regional Hospital
tel.  +1 (613) 732-3675 ext.6150
fax.  +1 (613) 732-9986

________________________________

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Jeff Pitsch
Sent: April 5, 2006 6:23 PM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: CAG AAC 4.2 fallback connection policies

But if something is causing the continuous filter to fail, wouldn't you want to
err on the side of caution and reauthenticate the user? [I would like to error
it but what will re-authentication give me? If user can not fix his/her
conditions required by continuous scan then upon re-authentication user will be
denied access to NavUI anyway.]Isn't the fact that the watermark you have
chosen has been compromised mean you may want to be extra cautious?  They would
have access to minimal resources based upon when they authenticate again.  Does
that make sense?  To me, if a watermark fails (in this case a continuous scan
filter) i wouldn't trust that the person who logged in is still the person at
the console.  Why did it fail?  I've always been burned by 'assuming' and in
this case your assuming the watermark failing is nothing to worry about. [And I
agree with you on this.]

As for you scenario of going from valid workstation to kiosk, that's what the
EPA's are for.  I guess I'm confused as to why you wouldn't have a failsafe
access policy that ONLY gives the bare minimum if nothing can be validated.
[This is exactly what we wanted to do. In fact we have already set it up with
EPAs. What we are upset about is the fact that if you add continuous scan to
the list of things you require then this user totally looses ability to utilize
non-trusted devices. If you are using EPAs only they will fall back and get you
the level of access you need. When there is continuous scan involved - user is
denied VPN and NavUI if this scan is failing. Re-authentication will not get
this user NavUI because if VPN client is up it is looking for
http://aac_servername <http://aac_servername/>  as a portal.]

Again, if our continuous scan is failing why is it failing?  Why are you
getting so many helpdesk calls?  Is it possible your watermark is not the best
possible choice?  As well, why not simply put an EPA on the policy if that is
what will make it work?

I'm not trying to be argumentative but really trying to understand the
reasoning and maybe, just possibly, maybe it will help you.[I really appreciate
your input Jeff as it gives us a different view at this topic. I guess we were
trying to make the best use out of both EPA and continuous scans. What
ultimately screwed us were the connection policies that were not applied at the
same fashion as access policies. If they could do continuous scans using EPA
the setup would be a breeze]

Jeff Pitsch
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

Forums not enough?
Get support from the experts at your business
http://jeffpitschconsulting.com

#2 I'm confused on.  I can get a user to a portal if they do not fall into the
connection policy.  for example, they need IE version 6 but connect with IE
version 5.5, they will get portal page (portal as in NavUI) instead of VPN.
Are we talking about the same thing?

Jeff

On 4/3/06, Pavlo Ignatusha < Pavlo.Ignatusha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:Pavlo.Ignatusha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > wrote:

Hi group,

Just wanted to finalize this thread with information I obtained from latest
conference call with Citrix support. I will go by each question we asked
earlier.

1.      Citrix confirmed that connection policies were not cumulative. If a
user has 2 connection policies assigned (ex. With different endpoint scans)
only the policy with highest priority is processed.
2.      Citrix promised a workaround so user can get portal when connection
policy fails. I'll keep you posted.
3.      Continuous scans are coming from Net6 appliance and EPA scans are
coming with Citrix MSAM. That is why you need VPN client up to do continuous
scans (thanks Carl).
4.      Citrix will only continue to support a few major AV vendors in their
EPA scans. The rest is given away as an opportunity for partners like
www.epafactory.com <http://www.epafactory.com/> . These scans from partners are
not cheap though. Or you can use SDK from Citrix at your own risk.

Long story short AAC turned out to be an uncompleted marriage of Net6 appliance
and Citrix MSAM. Citrix rushed it to the market without a lot of testing. Along
the way we encountered some other interesting confirmed bug when AAC portal
login is case sensitive for home directory share access. We are waiting for a
hotfix for that as well. That's all the story for now.