[THIN] Re: Bootable CD OS install.

  • From: "Ziots, Edward" <EZiots@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 13:51:48 -0500

What worked, is to first use the Smart Start CD to blow away the RAID ARRAY
Configuration and then manual set up the RAID Array. Once this is done,
reboot machine with bootable CD-ROM and let  it rip.

Installed Windows 2000 SP2 Slipstreamed plus all the needed SP3 and SP4
hotfixes, all unattended.

What you need to do is the following.

1) COPY Entire contents of Windows 2000 Server CD-ROM to a folder. ( Call
CD-ROOT), get win2kboot.bin from the nu2.nu site put this off the root of
the CD-ROM.

2) Create a unattend.txt file using setupmgr.exe from the deploy.cab file on
the Windows 2000 CD-ROM.

3) Extract SP2/SP3 to a directory called SPX. W2ksp2.exe -x or W2KSP3.exe
-x. Then run c:\SPX\i386\update\update -s:C:\CD-ROOT. It will slipstream the
SPX files into the distribution.

4) Add all the hotfixes into the $OEM$ directory in QXXXXXX.exe format.
Create a cmdlines.txt file in this directory and ensure it runs the hotfixes
as such. You can also install additional software by placing it in this
directory and calling the setup silently. ( Compaq Drives, I would just run
the .cmd file included with the SPAQ)

[Commands]
"Qxxxxxx.exe -z -q -m"
.
.
.
.
.
.
qchain.exe

This is all that needs done. After reboot. System is named, with all right
information and you are ready to roll.

HTH,
Ed

PS: Now all I have to do is perfect all the software installs ( CPQ Diags,
SPAQ, I386 Directory addition) IIS Lockdown tool for IIS Servers, plus
script to move INETPUB to D:\INETPUB)