[THIN] Re: Best Thin Client Hardware

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:31:28 -0500

I have been researching these for our facility for almost a year.

www.infocater.com has a lot if info on the different brands.  Tablets =
fall into two categories. Those running the Windows tablet pc platform =
and have a hard drive etc.  Why this is not classified as a laptop is =
beyond me.

the other is a diskless ce or Linux device.  There are less of these out =
there and many of the ones out there, like the Viewsonic, are pretty =
delicate.

I have two rugged tablets from Advantech on my desk.  They are nice but =
their flash management is a joke.

Wyse and Neoware both have nearly identical tablets available.  Both are =
made for them by Airspeak. The flash management is better but these are =
heavier and bigger than most tablets.

Our nurses did not want to carry the larger tablets.

I have found several companies that make mounting solutions for tablets =
and notebooks. This got me around the too big to carry issue (we went =
with the Neoware).  It also keeps it safe from drops and spills which =
are inevitable.

For my project, we are mounting tablets to nurses carts for them to use =
for dispensing medications etc.

hope this is the info you are looking for.

Greg