[THIN] Re: Attention scripting gurus

The printer is USB connected.  Doing a NET USE command maps the printer to
lpt1, but it does not show up in the printers folder.  This prevents some
apps from using it as they can only select from the printers folder.  I
tried the \\client\laptop#\canon and it didn't work.  I get an error in the
vbscript file.  Maybe the script file I used is bad.  I got it from the
Scriptomatic.
adam

                      "Andrew Rogers"

                      <Andrew.Rogers@rennie-e        To:
<thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      vans.co.uk>                    cc:

                      Sent by:                       Subject:  [THIN] Re:
Attention scripting gurus
                      thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

                      rg

                      03/02/2004 02:45 AM

                      Please respond to thin

You dont mention how the printers actually connected to the client..
\\clie=
"net use lp=
want to expand o=

As for the printer ports, try net use'ing "\\client\compname#\printername"
=
(ie, \\client\laptop#\canon from your examples) - but again im not sure if
=
you've tried that (you've missed off the \\ at the start in your message?)

Andrew
--o--

>>> Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 01/03/04 23:09:39 >>>
Mighty scripting gurus,

I am trying to map a printer via a remote session.  Just for grins, I
turned off all the drive/printer mappings in User Mgr for the account I am
using.  To map a C: drive, "net use c: \\client\c$" works.  I tried doing
the same for a printer using "net use lpt1:  \\client\lpt1:".  I get a
succesful msg, but nothing seems to print so I dide a net use lpt1: /d to
delete the mapping.

Just for grins, I opened up notepad and did a File,Print, Find Printer.  I
was able to navigate to the printer on my laptop and map it as my default.
I found it under Client Network, Client.

Question:  how can I script it (WMI or other)?  I tried using without
success:
Set WshNetwork =3D CreateObject("WScript.Network")
WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\client\canon"
WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\client\canon"

I've replaced \\client\canon with client\laptop#\canon, \laptop\canon,
\latop#\canon, and a few others.  None seem to work.  I figure if I can
enumerate/browse it in a session, I should be able to script it.  Problem
is that I am not a good scripter.  Help please.

adam

This weeks sponsor triCerat Inc.
triCerat makes your job easier by offering essential
applications to eliminate your printing, policy and profile,
and your application management problems.
http://www.triCerat.com