[THIN] Re: Article: Parallels' Serguei Beloussov speaks out on free XenServer

  • From: Brian Ehlert <brian.ehlert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:21:54 -0800

That is very true.

Server 2008 is only required when running the Hyper-V role.  The Standalone
"Hyper-v Free" does not require a license.

The difference - the entitlement of *server* licenses that you can run
within VMs.  And the cost that those VM operating system licenses raise.

Either way, you pay for a license it is just if it is the OS of the host and
you get free VM licenses, or you pay for the VM licenses directly.