[THIN] Re: Applications

  • From: "Mack, Rick" <RMack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 08:22:23 +1000

Hi People,
And there's even a complicating factor.

Device drivers are most often single threaded (don't know of any
multi-threaded ones but I'll hedge my bets) and in the case of NIC drivers
for example, there is a cpu affinity of sorts applied insofar as if you've
got a single NIC and a multi-cpu system, the NIC driver will have it's
affinity set to the highest numbered CPU.

If anyone can remember that far back, this used to create real problems
until DPC sharing was introduced.

So which cpu do you set your app afinity to on a dual CPU system?

I suspect it might be better to leave things alone. ;-)

Regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
rmack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx