[THIN] Re: Anyone done calculations on energy saving for thin client devices ?

  • From: "Mark CALLEJA" <Mark.CALLEJA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 08:16:15 +0800

Chris

Check out this website - may be helpful...:)

http://www.thinclient.net/thin_client_computing.html#savingenergy

Reagrds
Mk

Mark Calleja
Network Systems Coordinator
Network Systems
Dept Housing and Works
(08) 9222 4941
mark.calleja@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand
binary, and those who don't"

>>> thinlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 28/03/2006 08:09 am >>>
*I measured one of our "standard" desktops, a Dell Optiplex GX280 in
the
small form factor case with a 3 GHz P4, at 90-110 wt depending on what

you're doing.  Mostly hovered around 95-100 wt during normal operation.

**I've measured PII 400 MHz systems at about 40 wt.  **My HP
Workstation
xw6200 dual Xeon 3.4 (800 FSB) desktop takes a steady 250 watts, with
my
dual Xeon 3.0 GHz (400 FSB) desktop taking around 225.

In other words, it can vary a significant amount depending on what kind

of machine you're talking about.  I'd imagine probably not something as

old as a PII, but not something as powerful as a dual Xeon.  Hence,
somewhere between 40 and 250 watts.  :)

My 20" Dell LCD takes up about 45 wt, a couple of our 17" LCD's around

30 wt.  Neoware Capio 620 thin clients use 9 watts under normal
operation.

Dell PowerEdge 2850 dual Xeon 3.6 GHz servers with two 15K RPM SCSI
drives and dual power supplies take a pretty steady 250 wt under about
25% system load, and use the same amount of power whether you have one

or two power supplies plugged in.  They briefly jump up to about
450-500
wt at power on though, with all the fans screaming full blast during
POST.

I haven't tested any CRT's though.

Why not just pick up a cheap meter and test everything yourself?  I've

used one of these in the past, they seem to be more than accurate
enough
for things of this nature.
**http://www.google.com/search?q=kill+a+watt  *
*