[THIN] Re: Anyone done calculations on energy saving for thin client devices ?

  • From: Chris Buechler <thinlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:09:26 -0500

*I measured one of our "standard" desktops, a Dell Optiplex GX280 in the small form factor case with a 3 GHz P4, at 90-110 wt depending on what you're doing. Mostly hovered around 95-100 wt during normal operation. **I've measured PII 400 MHz systems at about 40 wt. **My HP Workstation xw6200 dual Xeon 3.4 (800 FSB) desktop takes a steady 250 watts, with my dual Xeon 3.0 GHz (400 FSB) desktop taking around 225.

In other words, it can vary a significant amount depending on what kind of machine you're talking about. I'd imagine probably not something as old as a PII, but not something as powerful as a dual Xeon. Hence, somewhere between 40 and 250 watts. :)

My 20" Dell LCD takes up about 45 wt, a couple of our 17" LCD's around 30 wt. Neoware Capio 620 thin clients use 9 watts under normal operation.

Dell PowerEdge 2850 dual Xeon 3.6 GHz servers with two 15K RPM SCSI drives and dual power supplies take a pretty steady 250 wt under about a 25% system load, and use the same amount of power whether you have one or two power supplies plugged in. They briefly jump up to about 450-500 wt at power on though, with all the fans screaming full blast during POST.

I haven't tested any CRT's though.

Why not just pick up a cheap meter and test everything yourself? I've used one of these in the past, they seem to be more than accurate enough for things of this nature. **http://www.google.com/search?q=kill+a+watt *
*

*