[THIN] Re: Adobe Acrobat 6.0

  • From: Jeff Durbin <techlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 13:56:24 +1200

This was posted to the list recently:

<--------------------- SNIP ------------------------>
Just thought I'd post some stuff that I've discovered lately...

I read from a posting on the Adobe forums that the Acrotray.exe needs to be
running since that TSR is the thing that let's the PDF creation occur.  I
think that the acrotray.exe process calls the acrobat distiller
(acrodist.exe) process, which in turn creates the PDF.  From the Acrobat
forums, it was said that if Adobe made the acrotray.exe into a service then
things would work right.

As a proof of concept, I used the scheduling service within Windows 2003 to
load the acrotray.exe process into the system context.  I used the following
command to do this...

at hh:mm /interactive "c:\program files\adobe\acrobat
6.0\distillr\acrotray.exe"

...where hh:mm is the hour and time when you want the process to be started.
For me, I just set the hh:mm to be one minute from now, so the acrotray
process would start immediately.  After watching the task manager to make
sure the acrotray.exe process started  and was owned by the system, I then
created a PDF.  Presto!  I didn't receive any errors or lockups, and I then
received a prompt, within my session(!), that the PDF was created properly.

I was NOT logged in at the console and the above was all done through a
terminal services session.  I was able to do this multiple times without
failure.

Hope this helps.  I'm planning on rolling out Windows 2003 for my own users
and this was a major stumbling block for myself as well.  I'm planning on
writing this up on my website for others to check out...

-M
http://terminal.servebeer.com

  I find it hard to believe that an app vendor would ignore server-based
computing so blatantly. I hope the natural selection process of the free
market will eventually weed them out of the software gene pool.

JD