[TheNoir] In the Dark by Vanir E. Wagner

  • From: VanirEWagner@xxxxxxx
  • To: thenoir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 06:06:35 EST

**approved by Cervin

It is, Vanir told himself, a good thing I am not afraid of the dark.  He was
crouched on top of one of the rafters in the main hall of the monastery,
watching the members of the Order.  The power was out and the inhabitants were
actually using real torches to see their way about.  What struck him, though,
was
the monks.  He could have sworn he'd seen the abbott.  Not just some old monk
that looked like him but THE abbott.  The same one. He shook his head. Was los
hier ist?   That is impossible, vollstÃndig unmÃglich.

From his perch in the rafters, he gestured to Cervin.  Go ahead, the motion
said, the coast is clear.  He was playing advanced scout, 'porting ahead, to
make sure that 'Brother' Cervin and 'Brother John' would not be stopped by one
of the Order.  The weapons control room was toward the center of the building.
From their short observations, the trio had learned that the monks were not
part of the Order but that the Order had taken over the monastery for their own
purposes.  Bullying monks was not something that put the Order high up on
Vanir's list of quality organizations.

He 'ported ahead again and immediately realized that something wasn't right.
He was still up in the rafters but the wall turned where it shouldn't.  They
changed the verdammt floor plan, he realized.  He could still see by the
flickering torches that lined the walls below him but he had no idea where he
was.
He tapped his comm badge.  Nothing.  He tried again.  Still nothing.

"Wonderful, not only have I lost my partners," he grumbled softly, "but I am
lost, too."
Vanir Erik Wagner
The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the
great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you
are really a wise man.â Euripides