[The Daily Planet] A Snag

  • From: Rhi <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: thedailyplanet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 19:58:19 -0500

"A Snag"
Princesses Diana & Selene, and Artemis

The knock on her door startled Artemis. Selene never knocked, she simply came in, normally through one of the back windows. Slipping on a long silk dressing gown the redhead walked over to her door and opened it. She’d been expecting a princess, but not this princess. “Diana.”

“I’m sorry, Artemis. Did I catch you at a bad time?” The raven haired woman replied with a soft smile.

“No of course not.” It wasn’t a lie, you couldn’t lie to Diana. It wasn’t a bad time, at least not yet anyway. “Come in.”

Diana smiled at the other woman again as she entered Artemis’ rooms. Since becoming an advisor to her mother Artemis had been given a set of living quarters in the palace, and Diana had to admit the woman had managed to combine her Egyptian style with the Grecian architecture in a very elegant way. To be honest, Diana hadn’t really seen Artemis as the elegant, soft satin and silk type, but obviously she’d been wrong. The room was decorated in softly colored satins and the dressing gown the other woman was in was clearly silk.

“Is there something I can do for you Diana?” Artemis asked as she closed the door. She and Diana had become friends over the years, but she couldn’t ever remember the princess coming to see her in her personal rooms before.

“Actually Artemis I came to talk to you.” Diana replied as she turned to look at the other Amazon. “I wanted to let you know what was going on so you’d be prepared.”

Artemis narrowed her eyes and crossed her arms under her breasts. “Prepared for what?”

“You’re very close to Selene.” Diana went on. “You’ve been an excellent teacher and mentor to her, and for that I thank you.”

“But?” The other Amazon sniped.

Diana didn’t find Artemis’ tone surprising she simply answered her. “It’s been decided that when I return to Patriarch’s World at the end of the month, Selene will be coming with me.”

“Why in Hades has this be “decided”?” Artemis asked in a huff.

“Because she’s going to be nineteen.” Diana explained. “We feel that she’d do more good back at the Embassy with me. A sign of good faith that the youngest Themyscirian princess is finishing her education at one of the universities in Patriarch’s World.”

Anger flashed in eyes that sparkled like hard emeralds. “I take it Selene hasn’t been told any of this?”
Diana shook her head. “Not yet. That’s why I wanted to come talk to you.”

“You want me to help you talk her into it.” Artemis replied but then amended, “No, you want me to help her see that this is what’s best, that she should allow you and the Queen to make these choices for her. The Queen is the other part of this “we” you keep using isn’t it?”

“Mother has agreed…”

Artemis laughed as she shook her head and swept across the room. “This was your idea.” She poured some wine from a pitcher into a cup and then turned to look at Diana. “It’s not going to be that easy, Diana. This is her home, the first place she ever truly felt she belonged outside the safety of your arms. She isn’t going to just let you up root her, there isn’t going to be a mutual agreement this time. She’ll fight you.”

“That’s why I’m hoping you’ll help me convince her this is what’s best.” Diana replied as she moved closer to the other woman. “I miss her Artemis and now that she’s older, now that she’s trained, it’s safe to have her at home with me.”

“This is home, Diana.” Artemis replied. “You’re not one of them.” She pointed out her window towards the general direction of the sea and Patriarch’s World. “And she sure the hell isn’t one of them.”

Diana’s blue eyes flashed with her own spark of anger. “What makes you so sure she won’t be willing to come back with me?”

“I know her. I’m the one who’s spent everyday with her for the past seven years.” Artemis replied. She knew it was mean to say, but it was the truth. “And if you were so sure she would go you wouldn’t be here asking me to help you.”

“I’m not asking for your help for me, Artemis.” Diana said as she stood mere inches from the other woman. “The choice has been made. Selene is going with me when I leave. She’s my daughter, Artemis, not yours.”

Fiery green eyes locked onto fiery blue ones as Artemis stood at her full height which was just as tall as Diana’s. “I know that, Diana. I don’t see Selene as a daughter.”

Diana narrowed her eyes. How had see missed that look in Artemis eyes before? That tone of voice? The way her breathing changed when ever Selene’s name was said. In a low voice, an almost Bruce like growl she asked, “How long have you been bedding my daughter?”

“Since I went after her a month after the Challenge.” Came Selene’s voice from behind them. “Once she got done hiding from me after I’d kissed her.”

Diana turned to look at her daughter and nearly blinked. Now she knew what it was that was different about Selene. She truly wasn’t an innocent child anymore. This was going to make a hard situation worse. “Selene…”

“I grew up, Mama.” Selene cut in.

Diana sighed. “So I can see.” She looked between Selene and Artemis for a moment. Yes it bothered her to know her little girl had taken a lover, but it wasn’t so much who, but that it was simply so.

“Was there anything else you wished to speak to me about, Diana?” Artemis asked. She really wanted to bring up what was about to smack Selene in the face but she guessed the only reason she hadn’t been told already was to keep from ruining her birthday celebrations.

“No,” Diana replied. “I trust you’ll do what’s best when it comes down to it.”

Selene watched her mother and lover for a moment and knew instantly something was up. After goodbyes were said and Selene promised to come talk to her mother, she turned to look at Artemis the moment they were alone. “What the hell was that all about?”

“Nothing you need worry about until you of worrying age.”