[thebigjewel] The Wretched Soul - April 27, 2005

  • From: "The Big Jewel" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thebigjewel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:20:19 -0600 (MDT)

The Big Jewel continues in a vaguely historical vein with a look at an
early sea voyage, as seen through the brandy-soaked logbook of the ship's
captain, who seems to have done a good deal more than four years before
the mast:

"The Wretched Soul"

by Ernst Albrecht

(The following is a selection from the logbook of the Wretched Soul, an
accursed ship driven to its doom by the likes of Captain Jack, a mad
Cornish sailor and adventurer extraordinaire, quite possibly the greatest
unsung hero of the high seas.) Liverpoole, Saturday 7 Aprill 1693 -- The
sun arose at six o'clock. A good sign. The ship be loaded and the sea is
calm. Ah, my nostrils heave to the scent of the spray. I sent out the
quartermaster early this morn to drum up some "fresh meat." By Jove! He
comes back within the hour rolling a barrelful of bold Irish apes suitable
for framing...

email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line to neilpasricha@xxxxxxxxx