[thebigjewel] The Mysterious Maya - October 19. 2005

  • From: "The Big Jewel" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thebigjewel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:26:25 -0600 (MDT)

Welcome to The Big Jewel, where we never met an ancient civilization we
didn't like. This week Walter Lynx brings us a story ripped from
yesterday's headlines -- yesterday in this case being somewhere around 250
A.D. Scan the brief but telling tale of the Maya, who appeared and
disappeared from our midst faster than you can say Cinco de Mayo:

"The Mysterious Maya"

By Walter Lynx

The Maya have always been a mystery, even to themselves. This is partly on
account of the lack of archeological information, and also because the
Maya have all been dead so long that they hardly remember what it was like
back in the good old days of Preclassic Mesoamerican Civilization.
Recently, archeologists have unearthed numerous hieroglyphs, bits of
microfilm and other refuse left by the Maya. In most cases these have been
promptly buried again...