[thebigjewel] Page's Guide To Birds - January 8, 2003

  • From: "The Big Jewel" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thebigjewel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 07:04:44 -0700 (MST)

* Welcome back to another year of Big Jewelness! We hope you all had a
great holiday. We welcome newcomer Ed Page to the scene today who gives us
an ornithological bit worthy of Audobon himself. If you like this article,
be sure to check out another piece by Ed here:
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2002/12/18pete.html

---

Page's Guide To Birds
By Ed Page

HUMMINGBIRD: The name "hummingbird" is something of a misnomer since a
hummingbird doesn't actually hum. However, this bird is by no means anti-
music. The hummingbird is a big fan of karaoke and, when listening to a
favorite song on the radio, is not above tapping its foot.

BARN SWALLOW: The barn swallow got its name from its ability to swallow an
entire barn in one gulp. Considered a serious nuisance in farming
communities.

PENGUIN: Penguins are awkward on land and cannot fly, but they are
extremely graceful swimmers. Penguin experts often say that what penguins
do underwater is not swimming, it's "underwater flying." They call the
actual flying that most birds do "airborne swimming." Penguin experts are
eccentric in many other ways and have few friends.

For the full article please visit:
http://www.thebigjewel.com/pagesguidetobirds/

---
To subscribe/unsubscribe to The Big Jewel's Hilarious Weekly Email please
mail us your request in a #7 manilla envelope, sealed with the spit of an
African elephant.