[thebigjewel] Our Bodies, Our Shelves - September 16, 2009

  • From: Kurtluchs@xxxxxxx
  • To: thebigjewel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:15:39 EDT

NOTE: This will be the last email you receive from the old Big Jewel email
system. You should already have received an invitation to sign up with our
new email system at Feedburner. If you haven't yet done so, you can do it now
by clicking on this link:

http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=thebigjewel/kpxw&loc=en_US

And now, welcome to The Big Jewel, where America shops for literary humor
and seldom gets a discount. This week we'd like to introduce Summer Block, a
young woman whose relationship with IKEA may be just a tad too intimate and
meaningful:

Our Bodies, Our Shelves: An Emotional Mapping of IKEA

By Summer Block

Welcome to IKEA, where sleek modern design is married to cost-cutting
ingenuity and presented in the calmly cheerful spirit of Swedish social
democracy. Please take the escalator upstairs to begin your harrowing emotional
journey.

ENTRYWAY: Bafflement, Optimism
Take a deep breath. Enjoy the bright colors, the smell of lingonberry, and
the perplexing but strangely persuasive signage. Give yourself over to the
arrows painted on the floor. Grab a tape measure and a big yellow bag — let’
s get shopping!

Look for: Golf pencils. Tealights.

Avoid: Weekend crowds...

email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line to kurtluchs@xxxxxxx