[thebigjewel] I, Writer - July 3, 2002

  • From: "The Big Jewel" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thebigjewel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 12:26:38 -0600 (MDT)

* Due to an error with this mailing list, we may have sent this message out
twice today. Sorry for any inconvenience. Happy Canada Day and/or
Independence Day. Due to an error with this mailing list, we may have sent

--

I, Writer
By David Jaggard

The Big Jewel has received an advance copy of an essay on creative writing
to be published as the introduction to the next book by a major bestselling
author. For legal reasons we can't identify him by name, but suffice it to
say that he writes the kind of glitzy doorstop-sized novels that you see in
every airport and second-hand shop in the country. Also, when NASA
announced that the Hubble Space Telescope had located the exact center of
the known universe, he was very surprised and disappointed to find out that
it wasn't his house.

You can bring the prisoner down now.
Tom Swift

Now that I'm an internationally renowned writer, it's surprising that no
one ever comes up to me and says, "How I envy you. How I wish I could be a
writer too." But I know so many of you would say that, if only you had the
chance, so I am writing this article to set the record straight once and
for all: you can't be a writer. You can't be a writer because you can't
write. You don't believe me? Well, try it:

You see? Pretty pathetic. Now watch this:

Lucinda's nostrils flared ever so slightly as Derek handed her an icy glass
filled to the brim with vintage champagne. Small beads of perspiration
formed on her tanned forehead, kind of reflecting the beads of condensation
forming on the glass, in a way. If you see what I mean. So then Derek leans
forward meaningfully and says, even more meaningfully, "I want to run my
fingers through your hair. I long to kiss your luscious lips. I yearn to
embrace your delicate neck. I've got a hankering to drop to my knees and
rip open your dress and. . ."

I could go on, but let's stop there. Now I'm not trying to be arrogant (in
fact, I'm exerting no effort at all) but if I wanted to, in about three or
four days of intense, frenzied, all-consumingly obsessive work I could
expand that little gem of an idea into a 900-page blockbuster epic saga
packed with life, love, romance and power, full of undeniable lust,
unimaginable wealth, seismic sex and Pi to 7,000 decimal places. Hardback
sales would top eight figures. The movie rights alone would put me and all
the future generations of my extended family on Easy Street for good. But
hey, I don't feel like it right now. I've got ideas like that to burn.
Also, I'm supposed to be telling you what it takes to be a writer. So here
goes:

For the full article please visit http://www.thebigjewel.com/writer